Job Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Submit Date: November 30, 2016, considered on a rolling basis
Trustees for Alaska is looking for an experienced fundraising professional who, along with the Executive Director, will lead fundraising and development activities for a successful nonprofit environmental law firm that protects and defends Alaska. The Director is responsible for creation and implementation of development tactics in the strategic and annual plans.
Who We Are
Established in 1974, Trustees for Alaska is a public interest environmental law firm based in Anchorage. We provide legal counsel to diverse constituencies to protect and defend Alaska’s lands, waters, wildlife, and people. We are at the forefront of a variety of issues which shape Alaska’s environmental future – oil and gas development, mining, toxic wastes, air and water pollution, public land use, and protection of marine resources.
Our office culture is professional, but relaxed, and is dog-friendly.
What You’ll Do
Working with the Executive Director, the Development Director will set and guide the strategy and tasks to raise the organization’s annual operating budget through individual, major donor, and foundation funding. The Director manages all donor information, and fundraising projects, and develops and implements an annual comprehensive development plan. The Director works with the Board of Directors’ Development Committee to engage the Board in philanthropy activities. The Director also serves on the senior management team alongside the Executive Director, Legal Director, Communications Director, and Office Manager. You will:
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Board Development Committee to create a comprehensive annual development plan that increases revenues;
- Provide support to the Board of Directors for fundraising activities;
- Implement the annual development plan and ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved;
- Coordinate with the Executive Director in prospecting, cultivating, and retaining major donors;
- Drive the individual giving program, prepare and send direct mail appeals to donors and prospects and timely gift acknowledgment letters;
- Manage donor database with accuracy and detail;
- Manage our foundation grant program;
- Work with the Communications Director to compose, produce, and distribute materials that describe Trustees’ work and solicit support.
Skills We Need
To succeed in this job, you should have:
- A proven track record of successful fundraising, including knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to developing a strong major donor program;
- Demonstrated ability to develop new and unique ways to improve the fundraising practices of the organization;
- Attention to detail in recording donor information, contributions, and contacts, and excellent record keeping habits;
- Proven ability to write compelling appeals that generate significant donor giving;
- Demonstrated ability to manage an active grants program;
- Planned giving experience or the willingness to acquire it;
- Experience with planning successful non-profit events;
- Effective time management skills to set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to foster and work within a collaborative, team-based environment; and
- Humility and good humor.
Experience You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree — course work in donor relations, customer service, marketing, membership, or equivalent experience, a plus.
Two to three years of experience with donor or client relations.
Conditions: 40-hour work week with occasional night and weekend hours, as necessary; dog-friendly office; collegial and supportive work environment.
Join us and help take Trustees for Alaska’s fundraising to the next level!
Email resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Development Director” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.